Answers to common questions:
1. Baklava keeps well. And our baklava is super super fresh. It keeps well covered in plastic wrap at room temperature. Baklava can be frozen, and some people keep it in the refrigerator (not my personal preference because I feel that it adds moisture, but a LOT of people do it).
2. We do not take reservations large or small. Our staff is small and deliberately streamlined, we cannot handle the complexities of managing reservations. Like most lunch/dinner restaurants, our busiest times are 12:00pm-1:00pm and 6:00pm-7:00pm. The best kept secret? (Shhhhhh….) The 10:00am-11:30am window. Welcome!
3. We do not serve or allow people to bring their own alcohol due to the Akhtarini’s faith practice.
4. Youssef and Reem do not give speaking engagements. They are very busy running a new business, raising their SIX children, and taking the small amount of free time that they have to “relax”. Youssef and Reem are still working on their English; in time they will have the English, time and perspective to tell their stories well.
5. We do not CATER. More specifically, we do not sell our food in large consolidated quantities. Our kitchen is very very small and cannot handle enormous quantities for larger events, nor the complexities of added item categories and processes. We are concentrating on creating and maintaining an enjoyable experience for our eat-in and take-out customers. People are more than welcome to place larger “take-out” orders.
6. We do not “rent” our space or hold “special events” such as weddings and parties. Our staff is small, and we relish taking 2 days a week to close for everyone’s mental health. On the days we are open, we are open to all who want to walk through our doors.
7. You can select the time and date for pick-up (baklava) & take-out orders (do not use the Apple/Google Pay options where because of their streamlined process, it is not an option).
8. ORDERING 2lb & 5lb Boxed BAKLAVA ==> Common Questions
A. Baklava 2lb & 5lb boxes are baked to order within 24-48 hours after placing your order. We do not bake on Monday when we are closed.
B. The number of PIECES per box varies quite a bit depending on the TYPE of Baklava you select. We WEIGH every tray - so it’s done by weight, not number of pieces. A 2lb box can have between 18-26 pieces depending on shape, and a 5lb box can have between 42-65 pieces depending on shape. (Crushed Lady Finger is the smallest, lightest shape — Classic is the largest, heaviest.)
C. If you need to add a note to us for some reason, the note field is near the very end of the process.
D. If you would like to add a short/simple note to a SHIPPING ORDER, that IS possible, just add that into the NOTE Field.
E. All orders are sent PRIORITY USPS, you can go to https://www.usps.com/priority-mail/map/ to calculate ship time (note that holidays can cause additional delays). You can select the ship date, and add a note with any additional criteria.
Aleppo Sweets was born out of LOVE & FRIENDSHIP, and of giving. Aleppo Sweets employs Refugees from several local families (16 at last count, Syrian Refugees make up the largest percentage of our staff). Our small staff is paid well, and tips are shared with the front of house AND the kitchen staff — as everyone is working hard to make our customers happy!
Aleppo Sweets GIVES to three local charities; DORCAS International Institute of Rhode Island, The Genesis Center and The Refugee Dream Center that have impacted the Akhtarini Family so powerfully, and continue to serve the refugee and immigrant community.
Aleppo Sweets does not donate baklava or gift cards.
While the Akhtarini’s are so grateful to the community that has been so welcoming to them, we have decided to wholeheartedly support a few organizations that have impacted them personally during their very recent resettlement to Rhode Island (October 2016), rather than try to manage and orchestrate the INTENSE number of requests, emails and calls about donating baklava and gift cards. It is quite simply too much to manage for the size of our tiny team.